Bleeding gums are a very common problem that usually suffer from people who do not follow proper dental hygiene. Although this disorder may be a sign of suffering from a more serious illness, it is usually due to excessive plaque or plaque on the gum line.
Bleeding gums is a problem that should be treated immediately because, if not, it can lead to other conditions such as gingivitis or even periodontitis. Besides recommending that you go to the dentist, we teach you how to cure bleeding gums with a series of remedies and changes in your oral hygiene.
You may also be interested in: How to brush your teeth after a curettage
Causes of Gum Bleeding
Although the most common cause of bleeding gums is the buildup of dental plaque on them due to poor hygiene, it could also be a symptom of having other dental health problems. Here are the possible causes of bleeding gums:
- Gingivitis or inflammation of the gums.
- Very abrupt brushing of the teeth.
- Apparatus for teeth or other poorly placed prostheses.
- Incorrect use of dental threads.
- Hormonal changes, especially in pregnancy.
- Scurvy (vitamin D deficiency).
- Deficiency of vitamin K.
The bleeding inside our mouth may also be caused by other disorders that have nothing to do with our teeth such as genetic factors, leukemia, diabetes, heart disease and / or bleeding disorder.
Recommended Clinic: Dr. Roze is Best Dental Clinic in Dubai
Correct use of the toothbrush
One of the simplest ways to avoid this problem in the gums is by making correct use of the toothbrush. Sometimes we think that by brushing with a lot of strength the dental enamel, we will make it cleaner. However, all we will do is worsen bleeding gums. If you want to improve your oral hygiene, follow these tips on brushing teeth:
- Choose a soft bristle brush, as it is the most correct option for those more sensitive mouths and with a tendency to bleed.
- Wash your teeth twice a day properly: avoid rough movements and smooth circles with the brush all over your teeth.
- Consider using an electric toothbrush as it eliminates tartar accumulations better.
- If you have very sensitive teeth, you need to gently brush (almost like giving a massage) the areas that bleed more frequently.
- Try brushing for more than 3 minutes.
Incorporate floss to your oral hygiene
The flossing once a day can prevent many dental problems, including bleeding of our enamel. But first, we must what type of thread to use and how to use it properly:
- Dental floss can be of two types: with or without wax. If you have never used this utensil, it is preferable that you choose with wax, since they are smoother and prevent damage to the tissues of the gums and, consequently, their bleeding.
- There are also several models according to the interdental spaces: we can find the thread for normal spaces; the tape for larger spaces; and the super floss, specific for cleaning orthodontics.
- If you want to use the floss correctly, you should hold it in a U-shape, so that it is tight and slide it gently from top to bottom between the dental gaps. It is important that to prevent it from slipping and hit the gum by damaging it, when you make the gesture of inserting the thread between the teeth do it by pressing lightly to one of the two teeth, side, instead of directly to the gum.
- Do not force the silk of the teeth, since you could cut the gums and, consequently, increase the bleeding.
Mouth rinses for bleeding gums
Another way to improve your oral hygiene and also reduce bleeding in the gums is to use rinses with natural ingredients after brushing teeth. In this article we recommend the following homemade rinses that you can make yourself at home:
- Rinse with water and salt: it has antibacterial properties that prevent the development of these microorganisms and also relieve the inflammation and sensitivity of the gums.
- Lemon mouthwash: this food is a potent anti-inflammatory and antiseptic so its juice is recommended to treat different problems in the enamel and gums.
- Aloe vera gel: it is a plant with analgesic, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, making it very effective in relieving swelling and bleeding gums.
- Sodium bicarbonate rinse: This compound, besides being a powerful bleach, is a very effective product for possible inflammations in the mouth due to its antiseptic properties.
- Clove essential oil: can be used to gargle, as it contains soothing properties, which relieve pain caused by bleeding gums, and antifungal and antibacterial properties, which eliminate plaque buildup and tartar and help prevent infections mouth.
Other recommendations for curing bleeding gums
In addition to taking into account everything discussed so far, it is good to also keep in mind other tips on how to cure bleeding gums and prevent it, such as the following:
- Try to follow a richer and healthier diet. It avoids sugars and increases the consumption of foods rich in vitamins (especially in vitamins C, D and K).
- If you are a smoker, consider quitting smoking since this product increases gum inflammation and periodontal diseases.
- Increases water consumption. Try to drink 8 glasses of water daily to prevent bacteria buildup and tartar.
- Visit, even once a year, a specialist to check the health of your teeth.